Who needs it? : A series on Earthquake Insurance Edition

Who really needs earthquake insurance?

  • Homeowners insurance doesn't cover earthquakes
  • Individuals who live in a high risk area for earthquakes (one of the high risk states is California)
  • Individuals who have large amounts of equity in the properties they own

What does Earthquake Insurance cover?

  • The cost to rebuild the structure
  • Your personal property, such as furniture, clothing and other household items
  • The cost of additional living expenses, such as alternative housing
  • Building ordinance to help bring your home’s construction up to current building code requirements

So in the event of a claim, what should I expect?

  • The earthquake insurance policy covers your dwelling up to the same limit as your homeowner’s insurance
  • Expect to pay a deductible ranging between 10%-20% percent of the dwelling limit
  • Loss of use generally does not have a deductible requirement
  • Some policies may have a separate deductible for personal property coverage

How to prepare for the BIG one

  • Start saving an emergency fund for your 10-20% deductible
  • Choose the highest possible loss of use limits, you could be out of your home for some time
  • Prepare an emergency food, clothing and basic supply stock and store it on your property
  • Have a few good contractors at your disposal, you’re going to need them

California Earthquake Authority states most people in California live within 30 miles of a fault and there are 15,700 known faults in California.

Are you prepared for the unexpected? Contact us at (951) 494-7272 to learn more information and get a quote on the most cost effective earthquake insurance for you and your family.

Do you know what to do if and when an earthquake occurs? Read this blog to learn some tips on what to do before, during and after an earthquake.